domingo, 30 de septiembre de 2007

shock and awe

I got up on a sunday morning EARLY... cause all these thoughts in my mind I could not keep to my self...

I live in a poor poor third world country.... where who ever has the access to anything has to pay three times it's actual value for it (if you have any doubts, we pay 5 dollars for a galon of gas, do the math)... but back to the subject... Yesterday I felt like I was part of an MTV show... I went to an activity typical of the Dominican Republic... at a school NOT VERY TYPICAL of the Dominican Republic... where the kids of the graduating class of 2008 where presenting themselves to the rest of the school and everyone who was there... it usually is a very fraternal activity... a showcase of togetherness and classmanship (at least that's what Im used to seeing)... but " I " me and my self, thought it got a little out of hand, when the kids arrived in a helicopter, and all sorts of LUXURY vehicles...

I can't begin to think how can their parents ever teach them to be humble... how will they ever drop down to notice the city, country, world they live in (the road that leads to the school is not even paved for god's sake!!!!) ... when they think they can mock the behavior they see on TV (which frankly disgusts me) ...

Just so everyone who reads this knows... no I don't feel jealous because I did not get to rent a chopper at 16... I just don't think that is rightful thinking or judgment by the parents or teachers who didn't analyze and just acknowledge this was a little bit over the top... and yet I say it once more.. the freakin road that leads to the school is not even paved for god's sake!!!!... but why would they teach them to do good (they could have invested the money in paving the damn road) but why would the do that... their class would never be remembered if the did an honorable thing, but by arriving in a chopper, hey there's some recognition...

*who I'm I kidding OUR RESPONSIBLE GOVERNMENT is supposed to take care of that kind of little details...

But what made me wonder even more... was the fact that a member of last years graduating class died a day before when he crashed his hundred thousand dollar porsche (I told you to do the math) into a tree when speeding back to the city... and if that's not enough... there were little kids outside of the school that rushed you on your way to your car begging for money....

... I really don't know if to be mad or sad... nowadays you are what you have not what you've accomplished...

In the end the activity was what it intended to be... kids of all grades enjoyed a field day (which didn't provide much more activities than soda and pizza) and danced the night away... third graders and all... with the close watch of their responsible parents...

I just hope that next years graduating class doesn't try to land a plane in the school's parking lot... in the other hand, the unpaved road can serve as a good landing strip

tlbj

0 comentarios: